Day 1

On the first day of clinicals I got to clean and paint an old lady's nails. When I asked if she wanted me to paint her nails she said "Oh I don't even know what that is," apprehensively as I pointed to the nail polishes. I smiled at her and told her to choose any color that she wanted so I could paint them, and she chose the brightest pink of the batch. Right after painting her first nail she kept saying how beautiful the color looked. Once I finished she excitedly asked me how long it would take for the nails to dry, and I told her about ten minutes. She nodded and kept her hands completely still so she would not mess them up while still admiring them.
This was my favorite part of the day. It's amazing how many of the elderly have lost so much but are still able to smile back when someone smiles at them and be able to enjoy the small things they have left in their life. It's really humbling.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment