Reality Check.

While I take this time off from school, I know money's going to be tight for myself because I'm saving up for so much that I want to have in my life in the future and to lessen the load that my parents may have to help me out with. Although the route that I'm currently taking includes intensely back-breaking work, it's opening my eyes to a lot of things I'd understand, but not completely understand without fully experiencing it first hand. We see pictures on Facebook, Instagram, etc. about people going on vacations, getting luxury cars, and wearing expensive clothing but we never know the entire story behind it. We don't know whether that person has saved up for years for that vacation, or if they are going on vacation despite the fact that they can't pay off their credit card debt.

Getting a full-time job has humbled myself down in terms of what I ask for from my parents. When I was younger I used to ask why my friends got to have these nice bags and expensive cars while I didn't, my dad would reply, "All of that is their parents' money, without their parents they would have none of those things." Which was true almost every time. Some people may never realize the worth of a dollar and how hard others work for it. 

Getting a job has also made me feel extremely bad about some of my careless spending. All of those times when I went to get Starbucks in college when I could have made my own coffee (which adds up quickly by the way), when I bought useless things that I only used once, and times when I always wanted to buy lunch when it's much cheaper to just bring lunch from home. I feel guilty about it, although it's not something I should dwell on but to use for future reference when it comes to spending. 

You learn a lot once you step into the real world. 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment