Graduation!

I sit here writing this as a recent college graduate! Yesterday was the big day, and it was definitely a bittersweet one. It was rainy but it didn't ruin my day to spend my last moments with my friends from college. College was no walk in the park as a Biology major, and it was no different for my last semester at Stony Brook University. I'm having so much trouble trying to even figure out what to say in this post because there was just so much that happened these past four years. I came in as a scared freshman who  had a hard time adjusting because it was my first time being so far from home. As I went through the years I figured out how I study best, and I met some pretty wonderful people that I will definitely keep close to my heart even though we all are now heading on to our different paths in life. Here's a short list of a few things that I learned in college: 

1. There will always be work. If you don't have time for your friends, make time.
2. You will meet so many different types of people who are going to challenge your way of thinking and your morals. It's good to try new things but it's always important to be grounded in terms of who you are.
3. If you discover something that makes you happy, keep doing it. It can be the one thing that keeps you sane when everything is falling apart.
4. You are much, much stronger than you think you are.

Ultimately, college has made me realize just how awesome my parents are even more than before. Not everyone can say that their parents came to America as refugees escaping the country during war with their lives in a suitcase and not a cent to their name. They've had their heads on straight the entire time. There are people who were in similar situations as my parents that have fallen to gambling addictions and party harder than their children. My parents have worked hard their entire lives so I can now proudly say that I am part of the first generation in my family to graduate with a bachelor's degree. 

I'm a little nervous, but I honestly cannot wait to see what life has in store for me. Congratulations to everyone in the class of 2014, I know you will all do great things!











“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe.” 
                                          ― Anatole France

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. I always had the mentality that younger years are happier years, always saying oh I remember how my life used to be so worry free. But then I noticed something...When I was thinking that elementary school was was more fun and memorable in high school, my high school experience started improving to the point where I thought it was the best time of my life by the time I was in college...reminiscing. And this carried on until obviously I realized that college was the best time of my life. So now looking forward, I know that no matter what, it's all uphill from where you stand. It's never "this was the best time of my life". And I'm sure it will be the same for you! You will reach a point where you will miss college and think it was THE best time, until you start having the time of your life in adulthood. And by the time you grow old you will start reminiscing how probably the best years were AFTER you graduated college. So many #showerthoughts, but I thought I'd write this in your blog :P We'll all look back at this in a few decades and nod our heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man look at all of those deep shower thoughts haha :D And I completely agree with you Chen!

      Delete