To The Met!

I learned a new word recently: frisson. It's the word used to define the chills and goosebumps you get whenever you experience some type of emotional excitement. Let me just say that I experienced  frissons of excitement all throughout today! I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for the first time today (yes native New Yorkers, my first time) to do an assignment for my painting class, and IT WAS AWESOME. You can literally spend days in there because the museum is so enormous. What's good about having general knowledge about drawing and painting is that it allows me to really appreciate the work that other artists produce as well, so I was really looking forward to seeing all of the artwork. Since every other time I've gone to Central Park it's either rained or I've ran out of time, Sandy and I strolled through Central Park on our way to the Met.



The lovely Sandy.  

 We walked past these two ladies playing in Central Park, and it made me miss playing the violin.


 Spring is my absolute favorite season, therefore every time spring rolls around most of the pictures I take consist of flowering trees. So of course while we were walking I had to take five million pictures of the cherry blossoms. :)



 

 This painting of Monet's Waterlilies was my absolute favorite of all of the paintings we saw today. I was pretty awestruck by the fact that I was staring at famous paintings from some of the most well-known artists in history. Seeing the real thing is a pretty big deal for me.


 Wheat Field with Cypresses, 1889- Vincent van Gogh


 Self Portrait with a Straw Hat - Vincent van Gogh, 1887
 
Me with  A Sunday on La Grande Jatte, 1884 - George Seurat
This one brought me down memory lane, because the first time I saw a photograph of this painting was in art class in elementary school.

 A Massacre of the Innocents, 1824 - Francois Joseph Navez
This was also a favorite although I'm not familiar with the artist. I couldn't get over this painting and how realistic it looked. It made me realize that if I were to ever go to the Sistine Chapel in the future, I probably would never leave.


Dancer in Green, 1883 - Edgar Degas


 To end everything we wound up going to the exhibit that showcased different  room setups in European and American history. Everything was so elegant; I often found myself picturing people who could have lived in these types of houses back in the day.


Thanks Sandy for being my museum buddy again! There's no one else I'd rather go to bookstores/stare at random stuff in museums with than you.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment